Week of 3/29- getting ready for the final project

Here are some cool science communication examples that I found on platforms that I use quite often:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMefqVfGP/

Bill Nye TikTok

I like that all videos are less than a minute. This allows the audience to be engaged and have a shorter attention span since the videos are shorts. I also like how he talks about a variety of different topics and isn’t just focused on one particular part of science. I think he could post more. He usually only posts 1-2 times a month so new content isn’t coming out very often. Accessibility to these videos might be hard for those with vision or hearing impairments because most people use tik tok on their phones and for people with vision impairments it could be damaging to their eyes and people with hearing impairments may struggle to hear what is being said and putting captions on the videos is not an option.


https://pin.it/6MIGm5s

NASA Pinterest

NASA’s pinterest is interesting to me because it includes a wide variety of photos which helped capture my attention. The only thing I don’t like about it is that you have to click on each picture to find out what the article is about. I would like it a lot better if there were headings or words on the photos so I wouldn’t have to keep going back and forth. This page is easily accessible for hearing impaired but I can see how people with visual impairments may have a hard time accessing it because it is mainly focused on pictures and that can be hard to navigate for some.


https://twitter.com/naturegenet?s=21

Nature Genetics Twitter

I like that they post their own content as well as retweet other science pages things. This gives more perspectives and information from other sources. I think they could use more intriguing pictures to help capture the audience's attention better. Most people with hearing or vision impairments could still be able to access this information because most of it is links to articles but blind people may have a harder time accessing it. There is a feature that allows the phone to speak the text though.


For my final project I am going to make an Instagram page for my starters.


In order to make my project accessible I am going to post photos with captions that people can read and post videos with sound and captions.


Outline of final project:

Your starters -- what fruit did you use? what did you learn about the fruit and its history? the cultures that have cultivated this fruit and the kinds of breads they make? What kind of flour did you use?

  • I will talk about limes and bananas and include pictures of them in their native lands (Southeast Asia and Indonesia). I also found a lot of different types of breads that can be made with these fruits and will include images of those.

Your starters -- the process of growing them, what happened, what they smelled like, how they grew (or didn't), any mishaps, anything else of interest

  • For my Instagram page I will share photos of the process of growing the starters and how their phenotypes varied on certain days. I can talk about the smells varied between each starter and put photos of things I thought they smelled like. I can share a link in a caption to my blog or another site that explains how to grow sourdough starters if anyone wanted to try it out for themselves. 

Rising rate experiment -- whose samples did you analyze? Could you make any conclusions?

  • I will analyze my samples. For this I will post photos of the graphs and analyze them in the comments. I can make conclusions and also give links to other classmates blogs so people can compare what I have concluded with other students.

Your experimental question(s) -- what do you plan to ask once we have the sequencing data?

  • I plan to ask about how the type of fruit in the starters correlates to the microbes present. Also does the form of the fruit (frozen, fresh, canned) have an effect on the microbes that grow in the starter. I would compare with data from last semester and ask if the same microbes were present when the same fruit was used and if not then what could be the reason for this.

Comments